Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Overhead Squats and Quick Paleo Update

Monday:
Day 1 of Week 1 of 100 Push-up Challenge 10-12-7-7-max of 9 (60 second rest between sets)
Warm-up: Finally, I was able to get at least 5 consecutive double unders with the magic rope. Tiff let me try out her speed rope and I was able to do 2 consecutive. I may have to reintroduce my speed rope every now and then. Heck yes!!
  • Overhead Squats (OHS) 5-5-5 @ 72-79% (scaled from 80-85%)
    65-68-71
  • OHS 3-3-3 @ 82-91% (scaled from 86-91%)
    74-78-82
  • Pull-ups
  • 3 deadhang pull-ups + 2 negatives x 3 (Tried a fourth deadhang on the third set and missed it by an inch. Dang!)
Mini-metcon: 21-15-9
  • Kettlebell swings @ 45lbs
  • Wall Ball @ 16lbs
approx 11:45
That was a tough mini-metcon. I couldn't finish with the rope climb. My arms were just dead.
Quick Paleo Update
After a week of paleo, I have noticed a change in my mood. I feel depressed, moody and have no drive. I really just feel like crap. I had a chat with Carla and Jess, who mentioned it could be my change in diet. Or more, it is my change in diet. They also mentioned this is the time of year some people develop seasonal depression. I'm going to be taking more vitamin D3 (2000-3000 IU) to try and convince my body I'm getting sunlight.
I'm hoping this is just part of the cleansing process because it sucks.

3 comments:

  1. Julie,

    Robb Wolf suggests the adjustment period when switching to Paleo could be 3-4 weeks. Hang in there I promise you can get through this and you will soon see the benifits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PR-Julie!
    I am super excited to have found your blog!
    And LMAO at the dreams about eating non-Paleo food...I had a dream that I ate some "Ju-jubes" and when I woke up I was so mad at myself for wasting my 'cheat meal' on ju-jubes! HAHA
    I just wanted to say that as far as Crossfit goes, you are and have been a HUGE motivation to me. You are way stronger than you give yourself credit for! I love having you as a workout buddy because you totally challenge me (not just because you like the rack at "3 holes" either ;). I admire how strong you are and have become in such a short time and hope to keep trying to catch up to you.
    As far as feeling shitty goes....I just want to say hang in there! I am on like my millionth Paleo challenge (ok, realistically probably my 5th or 6th...) and although it has taken me so many tries, I feel like I am finally starting to get it right. BUT, it has taken the last 5 months (since our first real Paleo gym challenge in September...) to feel this way. So, I hope you are giving yourself the credit you deserve for even taking on the challenge. A lot of people wouldn't be able to do it.
    See you at Strength-Club tonight! :)
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Julie, especially on the deadhang pull-ups!

    Almost everyone in the Paleo Challenge in September felt a slump in the 2nd and/or 3rd week. Your body is going through a detox, and the worse the diet was before, the worse this transition period can be. Push through it and you'll feel fantastic on the other side, so it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete