Sunday, January 3, 2010

Intro

So I finally picked a domain name. My title is a work in progress.
As you can see from the title, my name is Julie. I am a Medical Laboratory Technologist in the department of Hematology and am cross-trained in Transfusions. What does this mean? As a cross-trained Hematology/Transfusions technologist, I run your CBC (complete blood count), coags (blood clotting factors), look at blood smears under a microscope for any abnormalities in your cells, and issue blood products, just to name a few. The lab is hardly ever boring. We, well I, like to have fun when I'm at work. Lots of good stories that I may share on here later on.
My main reason for starting this blog was for others to see my fitness progression. I started at CrossFit Regina (CFR) November 2008. Before I started CrossFit, I went to the Y and did the usual workout, 3 sets of 10 of some isolated movement. Days would be broken up into upper body workouts, lower body and abdominals. It was fine at the time until my friend told me about CrossFit. He told me a 20 minute CrossFit workout was 10 times better than a two hour workout at the Y. I was sold. I signed up for foundations classes immediately. Only because I thought I had to before working out there. Later, I realized the first workout was free and I didn't need to go the classes just to try it out.
My first workout was 'mini Cindy'. I loved CrossFit after that. It was only a 10 minute workout but it made me sore for three days. I didn't think that was possible. CrossFit has been my main focus lately. It's all I can talk about. Just ask anyone who knows me.
About a month ago, I decided I was going to go to the sectionals in Edmonton for CrossFit Games. CrossFit Regina competition team started training in December. I thought it was tough at times but I know Robin and Aaron have a lot more tough training in store for us this year. To start off the year, CFR is holding a Paleo January Challenge, which I am participating in. It will be difficult because I have to cut out dairy, sugar and grains. I am currently on nights and the challenge is going well. We'll see what happens when I go back to days.
Before the challenge started, my boyfriend and I took before pictures of ourselves. It will be interesting to see how Paleo and phase I training may change my body in a month. Training will start again on Monday. I plan on doing a benchmark girl before and after the challenge. I think that's the best way to see if Paleo may have helped with my fitness.
Well that was a mouth full. I hope I did not bore you with this. So I will stop until my next post...

1 comment: