Monday, February 1, 2010

Workout and Paleo Update

So it's been a while since I've blogged anything. This is going to be a long one. I'll start with the workouts.
Wednesday, January 27:
After work I showed some of my coworkers a CrossFit workout at the Y. I was going to join them but I wanted to make sure they were doing it properly instead. They were doing back and abs that day so I had them do with a swiss ball:
5 rounds for time:
  • 30 Sit-ups
  • 25 Back Extensions
I really liked coaching them through the workout. However, one of my coworkers said I was mean. Meh. I would like to coach one day but that would require me to get my CF Level 1 certification. We'll see how my money situation is after my trip to Greece in April.
Went to CFR later in the evening and did some rowing intervals:
  • 2 x 500m @ 80% - 2:13.2, 2:13.3
  • 1 x 500m @ 90% - 2:06.0
  • 1 x 500m @ 80% - 2:13.9
Handstand Push-ups:
  • 5 reps with green and purple band
  • 4 reps with two purple bands + 1 with Harlan pulling me up
Thursday, January 28:
Today was supposed to be a rest day but because I didn't do my push-ups on Wednesday, I did them on Thursday. Probably not a great idea. I didn't reach my required max number. I think I wasn't in the right mind frame to be working out. So I'm going to redo my week 3 of the challenge starting tonight by redoing my exhaustion test at CFR.
Friday, January 29:
Still didn't feel like myself but did the CFR wod:
"DOTCOM2"
3 rounds for time:
  • 50 Double-unders
  • 50 Good Mornings
15:15*
Yay! Finally I was able to do double-unders for an entire workout!! My arms got tired after the first round because I was using the magic rope. I switched to Tiff's speed rope but was only able to do two at a time.
Weekend:
I had to work so I took the weekend off. It was nice taking two full days off. I really needed it. My lower back was sore from the good mornings. When I went to sit on a chair, I had to do it very slowly. Feeling better today though.
Today, morning:
  • Snatch 75% x 2 - 80% x 1 - 85% 1x4
    60-64-68 (Above top: Snatch Triple Extension; above bottom: Squat Snatch)
  • Clean & Jerk 70% x 1 - 75% x 1 - 80% 1x4
    73-79-84
Came back in the evening to finish the workout:
100 Push-up Exhaustion Test: 35
Thanks Lexi for counting. I can't believe I missed 36 by an inch. Oh well, I tied the gym record for women!!
Mini-Metcon:
"Power Magic 50"
3 rounds for time:
  • 5 Power Dumbbell Snatch L/R - 35lbs
  • 5 Dumbbell Swings L/R - 35lbs
  • 10 Burpees
8:36*
I did most of the burpees as 'hitting the deck', where you just drop to the ground. Hurts the wrists a bit but it's a lot faster. I still tried to maintain my form by doing standard push-ups.
  • GHD Raises x 8
  • Toes-to-Bar x 10
I was able to do the raises all the way up. My hamstrings hurt but it's a good hurt. First time doing toes-to-bar. It was pretty fun. I felt like a little kid. :)
Paleo Update
Before I start this, I want to mention that I did not go on Paleo strictly to lose weight. I know I did not need to lose any weight. I did it mainly to see if it would improve my athletic performance and generally just to eat more healthy foods. I get a little annoyed by the word diet and how it is associated with weight loss.
So yesterday was the last day of the Paleo challenge at CFR. I did a final weigh in this morning. I don't know if I mentioned this but my weight before Paleo was 127. I stepped on my scale and it said "ERR". I thought, "Wow, I weigh so much I don't register on the scale. Haha!" So I stepped on it again...121. I thought, "that can't be right." So I tried a third time...121. I lost a total of 6 pounds!! I didn't think I was going capable of losing any more weight.
I'm not going to say Paleo is for sure the reason I lost weight. There were other factors that contributed: paleo diet, increase in exercise and getting more sleep. Except, for last week when I got about 5 or 6 hours a night.
I'm feeling pretty great today. I still don't know what to have as my first non-paleo meal but I'm sure there's something out there that I want. As for strength, I'll get back to you on Wednesday when we do back squats, deadlifts and pull-ups. "Christine" was the benchmark girl we did at the end of December. I figure it's a good one to see if Paleo has done its job. Leya said she would join me when I do that.
During the challenge, I would say I was 95% Paleo. I'm going to try and continue with 75-80% Paleo. Today I was finally able to have non-paleo food but I didn't feel like I needed it. I think I can make it work for the most part. Harlan recommended I slowly introduce non-paleo foods. My body will not like me if I were to eat a big plate of pasta right away.
Unfortunately, I don't have a before and after picture of myself. Paul formatted his laptop and forgot to backup our pictures. I guess we could just take the after pictures in our bathing suits and post those...

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Jules!

    I've not been as strict with Paleo as you, but I would say that after eating relatively healthy, the idea of eating all the stuff I used to love (rice, pizza, fries) just doesn't appeal to me. Which is not to say that I wouldn't gorge myself with it if someone put a Pizza Hut pepperoni pizza with banana peppers or some Costco fries with gravy down in front of me...

    ReplyDelete