Friday, June 4, 2010

2010 CrossFit Games: Canadian Regionals

We went to watch the best in Canada compete in the 2010 Crossfit Games: Canadian Regionals in Okotoks, AB.
The drive there was not too bad except for when we arrived in Calgary.  It was snowing and there was slush on the road.  Luckily it was only another fifteen minute drive to Okotoks.

The first event (18:00) for both individuals and teams was a cross-country run...in the snow.  Yep, the snow did not melt and it was cold.  Paul and I were run marshals trying to stop traffic for two hours.  I was fine until the last half hour when I started to freeze.  I don't think I warmed up until we left the restaurant at 10:30.

Day two, 8:30, was taking place at Natural High CrossFit.  It's a pretty decent facility.  Steve and I were able to go upstairs and take pictures of the first two events.  We had a great view of the entire gym.  The first event was the individual WOD: three attempts at snatch complex.  I got nervous for some of the spectators in the front row.  There was only once incident that I remember where the first row almost got a barbell to the face.  Results for our individual athletes were as follows: Blair 165lbs; Shae 185; Kelly 95 and Ange 115. *Results were taken from the CrossFit Games website.

The second event was the team WOD: three attempts at 2RM cleans and max ring dips.  Watching the other teams, I noticed that CFR were the only ones where were doing a full clean.  Most of them power cleaned and then squatted.  CFR ended up getting third in this event with a total of 2219 points.  Go CFR!

The third event was another individual WOD:
4 rounds for time (15 minute time cap):
  • 35 Wallball
  • 20 Pull-ups
I did not want to try this workout after watching it.  Most of the women were unable to finish before the allotted time.  There were some great head-to-head competitions in some of the heats.  It was so exciting to watch and cheer for someone to finish when we knew how close another athlete was to them.  Results: Blair 11:03; Shae 12:57; Kelly 15:07 and Ange 15:09.
Day three, 8:00, took place at their leisure centre rink.  The rink was 150m around which will be important to remember for the team and last individual WODs.  The first event was the fourth individual WOD:
For time (10 minute time cap):
  • 50 Double-unders
  • 10 Burpees
  • 40 Double-unders
  • 10 Burpees
  • 30 Double-unders
  • 10 Burpees
  • 20 Double-unders
  • 10 Burpees
  • 10 Double-unders
  • 10 Burpees
This one looked fun to me.  We did this workout when we came back from the games but I'll talk about that later.  The athletes were required to use Buddy Lee ropes.  I don't know why but that's what it said on the website.  All of our athletes finished in the time required: Blair 8:03; Shae 4:58; Kelly 6:36 and Ange 8:05.
The second event and final workout for the teams was:
For time:

  • 600m (4 laps) Run by both males in tandem
  • 25 Overhead Squats 65lbs by females, each (men rest)
  • 25 Overhead Squats 95lbs by males, each (females rest)
  • 80 Burpees in 8 sets of 10, each athlete does 10 in order
  • 25 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls 65lbs by females, each (men rest)
  • 25 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls 95lbs by males, each (females rest)
  • 600m Run by both females in tandem
This one looked painful to me but I would like to try it.  Team finished 14:44, 7th place.
The final event of the day and weekend was the fifth individual WOD:
For time:
  • 12 Tire Flips
  • 6 Clean & Jerks - 95/65
  • 300m Run
  • 9 Tire Flips
  • 9 Clean & Jerks
  • 450m Run
  • 6 Tire Flips
  • 12 Clean & Jerks
  • 600m Run
I definitely want to try this one sometime.  I've never flipped a tire before but I think it would be a blast.  I think this was my favourite event only because Blair and Shae competed in the same heat and so did Kelly and Ange.  Times: Blair 12:50; Shae 13:02; Kelly 13:37 and Ange 14:31.
Overall the weekend was a great time spent with great people.  I am so proud of our athletes from CFR.  They all amazingly represented CFR.  I want to congratulate you all, our individual athletes: Blair (31st), Shae (30th), Kelly (22nd) and Ange (30th).  And Team CFR: Robin, Leah, Leya, Nolan, Christian and Blake (5th).  Way to represent!!
For some video of Day two, check out my youtube page.
Pictures for public viewing still to come unless you are my friend on facebook.  I still have day three to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment