Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Starting Strength

Ultimate tends to take up part of my summer. So, trying to make it to CrossFit Regina (CFR) seems to be difficult at times. With my time management skills, right after work I was able to squeeze in a workout at CFR, make supper and chili for the next few work lunches, and then pick up a game of ultimate.
Because I'm going to consider ultimate frisbee as the cardio portion of my workout, I wanted to start a little extra strength training. I started the "Starting Strength" program by Mark Rippetoe (Link to come). There are just two strength workouts, A & B. A consists of 3 sets of 5 (3x5) back squats, 3x5 bench press and 1x5 deadlifts. B is 3x5 back squats, 3x5 press and 5x3 power cleans. I just got a quick run through from Paul through email. He told me there are no percentages. You start with a weight that is somewhat challenging and do the same weight across the board. Then you increase each session. Mark's program has you doing strength three times a week. I don't want to miss too many of the WODs at CFR so I am going to attempt two times a week. Maybe on the days I have ultimate. I started the program with workout B:
  • Back Squats - 125(4)-115-115
  • Press - 55
  • Power Cleans - 95
I had definitely lost some strength. That 125 sure was heavy. Everything else felt, as Paul had said, somewhat challenging.

Right after CFR, I tried to prepare a semi-paleo supper and lunch. Supper: stirfry cashew chicken with green and yellow peppers in an oyster sauce. Lunches: chili (with no beans!).

My friend, Will, contacted me last night to see if I was able to be sub for his team tonight. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel because my abs are STILL hurting from Sunday. I decided to play because moving around helped a lot. I almost didn't want to go to CFR because of them. Anyways, it was a decent night for ultimate. Temperature was good, there was wind but no rain. Living in Saskatchewan, you can't escape the wind. We lost but it's nice to get out and run amuck sometimes. :)

4 comments:

  1. http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator

    This is cool that you're doing this. I'm in the middle of doing this right now and I'm doing session 9 of 24 this evening. I plugged my numbers into this excel programme (my max 5 rep weight for each movement) and then started at 15% below that. You can even go at 20% if you feel you need to.

    I also changed the shoulder press weight progression to 3lbs instead of 5 and I may even reduce it to 2lbs if I fail too early. Try 3 times a week if you can since you want to get used to lifting heavy weight and 2 times a week might not be enough.

    Good luck Julie! I think more women should do this programme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to drink a lot of whole milk. 2L a day, minimum. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Kurt. I eventually found the document. I went into the wrong site before. I'm going to have to start over b/c I didn't do it right. I want to include all the warm-ups. I'm still not sure about my starting weights.

    Tyler, I can't drink milk. I don't feel too good afterwards. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really shouldn't be working overly hard until you're about into week 3-4 of the 8 weeks. If you're failing any reps early on it's a sign that you need to look at your max's and your % to reset. Early on the weight it light but it gives you a chance to get your form bang on and it primes your nervous system for the heavier weight that will come soon enough.

    My squat test weight for 5 reps is 225lbs and the excel program says my 1RM max should be 253. That was pretty accurate. I decided to reset at 15% so my 1st working set of squats was at 190lbs and it goes up 5lbs every session (15lbs total a week). Tonight my squat working weight will be 230lbs.

    Aaron is a pretty good resource (the dude knows his shit obviously) and you can bounce your starting numbers off of him. You might want to consider using 1-1/2 to 2lb increases for your shoulder press instead of the default 5 listed.

    As for the milk, I'm not doing it this time. The insulin spike was too much for me to handle so I'm just eating a lot more food. If you ever need a lifting partner I do this Sunday @1PM, Tuesday at 6:30PM and Thursday at 6:30PM.

    ReplyDelete